Thursday 15 March 2012

Harrison Mooney thinks Raymond with the Sedins is a good idea


Mason Raymond has become public enemy no. 1 in Vancouver of late, and it’s easy to see why. The winger only has 16 points this season, with 8 coming in his first month back from injury in December, so the numbers, like the fans, aren’t exactly giving him the benefit of the doubt. Furthermore, nearly every error he makes occurs in the offensive zone, the only zone many Canuck fans seem to watch. Between his tendency to fall down and his penchant for turnovers, his squirrelly play inside the opposition’s end stands out even to the most passive observer. More…
Shacks’ Take:  You all know I love me some Mooney so I’m not about to rip him, I agree with most of what he says, I just want to add to this one a bit.  First, I agree putting Raymond with the Sedin’s isn’t a bad idea.  There are two things that Raymond does well, he enters the zone with speed which backs off defenders and creates space along the perimeter (always the perimeter with this guy), the other thing he does well is back check and defend because his speed allows him to get back to help the defense.  Both of Raymond’s strength should help the Sedins. I’ve noticed the Sedins have appeared to be playing without their usual time and space they create so well.  The Sedins are magic when they have time and if Mason can create some off the rush with his speed it may give the Sedins the cushion they need to create plays.  Also the Sedins aren’t the best on the defensive side nor do they have a lot of speed to recover when the pucks turned over so Raymond should help the defensive side of things as well.
My only quibble and it’s just a quibble is that despite some thinking Kassian not being ready for top six minutes, I think Kassian needs to ride a little shotgun here and there.  This I will explain in my Sunday Shacks’ Canuck take, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment