Friday 23 March 2012

Goodell lowers the boom on Saints


PR or reality, reality or PR? It’s doubtful that Roger Goodell even knows the difference anymore. But who cares? The truth is that when it comes to the New Orleans Saints and their bounty system, and to concussions and serious brain injuries in football, PR is reality.
So Goodell hit the Saints hard Wednesday, including a one-year suspension for coach Sean Payton for his actions while coaching a team to a Super Bowl title. Payton looked the other way when he found out that his defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams, was running a bounty system. Players got cash bonuses for hurting other players, extra money for knockouts in an era when concussions are turning ex-players’ brains into mashed potatoes. More…

Never mess with this man.
Shacks’ Take:  Okay I know if you read my last post, you’re probably thinking I’m a knuckle dragging Neanderthal who thinks bounties are okay, oddly I’m only half Neanderthal. 


The rules in the NHL are different than the rules in the NFL.  Fighting is allowed in the NHL and as long as it is, it can’t be ignored.  It serves the purpose of  ‘self policing’ the game and if you choose to cross the line with your physicality, you shouldn’t be surprised when you have to answer the bell. 

In the NFL fighting is not allowed and in any sport intentionally injuring someone is a despicable act.  I have never written I want anyone injured, I want the Canucks to embrace the rules of the league, all of them. 

This hit ended Warner's career.  I doubt the fines
make him feel any better.
I would be disgusted if any coach on a team I rooted for had a pay out system for hurting star players.  That’s plain wrong. 

Roger Goodell lowered the boom on the Saint's coaching staff and while I think the punishment is a bit harsh, I also believe that when you lie to the commissioner’s office and endorse deliberate injuries to the opposition, whatever punishment you get, you deserve.

I’m sure Kurt Warner gets little solace knowing he retired because of a hit endorsed by this program.  I feel sorry for Saint's fans but not for their management or coaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment